Old June 11th 19, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

On Sunday, May 26, 2019, at 4:16:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I’m afraid video may be making pilots take these risks.

https://youtu.be/PlXeHeR5Ma8

After looking at the video, and the ground underneath, what is the issue?

What am I thinking as he's turning? Well, what is my landing point on a base to final approach? I already have that point picked out on each turn, and it is continually changing as I move with the thermal.

It's clear; he has many landing options.

Next, how much am I going to try to stay in the air based on the bank I have to achieve? As I get lower, I think less bank angle in my turns, and speed, speed, speed. Do not get too slow! If I can't stay up because of purposely putting in less bank angle, then make my final landing because I won't try to stay in the tighter thermal. But as always, I have a point that I keep in my head that is a base to landing point that makes me think I'm at my local gliderport making an uneventful landing.

Well, this is all fine and good if my EGO doesn't overload my good sense!

Gary

"SQ"