Old January 2nd 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Jan 2, 10:38*am, Andy wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:29*pm, "
wrote:

Then.....if the tow rope provides a forward and Downward pull........
(which was pretty much proven in an earlier discussion, by virtue of
the 'sag" in the rope, the angle at which the rope meets the
glider) * *then lift has to be GREATER than what you might at first
think. *

I was not part of that earlier discussion and I certainly don't accept
that conclusion.

All I have read here is that the D2, because of its very low angle of
incidence, may have a downward pull on the nose (and even here
downward would mean below the glider longitudinal axis, not
necessarily below the horizon). *I'm quite sure that my ASW 28 being
towed on the CG hook has no downward force on the nose.

When I do tow in gliders with a nose hook I'm quite sure there is no
significant downward pull from the rope. *Maybe it all depends on what
you call high tow. *I've seen may pilots tow tens of feet higher than
I regard as normal high tow.

Andy