Old May 12th 20, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Glider Fire Sale

On Tue, 12 May 2020 14:13:05 -0700, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Not real big on following rules though.

True. I've always liked a story a British control-line flyer, Dave,
told: Dave flew team-race, but (of course) knew all the Russian speed
fliers as well: all these guys built their own engines. One of them was a
QA inspector on the Mig fighter factory and in a slow part of some day,
took a closer look at a Mig main spar and realised that it was exactly
what they all needed to make con-rods. By the end of the day the spar had
been condemned as unfit for use, chopped into 300mm lengths and, that
evening, posted to all his engine-building mates.

Anyway, as the USSR broke up, he and I ended up importing the Kalmykov
Cyclon 06 motors to the UK - the TOP-2 were easily the best F1j engines
I've ever had my hands on. Details here for those that like small
engines:
https://www.gregorie.org/freeflight/.../cyclon06.html

and a very good-looking engine too, just not as pretty as this:
https://www.gregorie.org/freeflight/.../shuriken.html

It was the first really powerful 1cc engine to be made.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org