Old October 7th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ogden Johnson III

Default GREEN CARD

"B.C. MALLAM" wrote:

I held an instrument "green" card when I was in the Navy. I know you had to
have something like 2500 hours before you took the ride for it but can't
remember what else it was for. Anyone remember? Or is it still around.

It's been 30+ years since I was in a squadron with pilots who
held/needed green cards, but going from memory, it allowed you to
sign off on your own IFR flight plans for cross-country flights
using the civilian ATC system. Governing directive for USN/USMC
was OPNAVINST 3710.7x [unsure of the .7, and the x would be a
capital letter indicating edition. Last time I worked with that
general NATOPS "bible", it was up to K or something like that.]

25-1/2 years out of the USMC, and as I said, 30+ years since I
was in a squadron which had pilots holding/needing Special
instrument ratings, I don't know whether it still exists, was
replaced by some other system, or what.

Struck out on trying to find OPNAVINST 3710.7 on the Navy
website. Or any Navy directives for that matter.

--
OJ III