Old June 9th 17, 08:38 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

I am in receipt of an email from the SSA Government Liason representative Mr Northcutt. I am truly amazed at being told that since I am NOT a current member of the Soaring Society of America he is unwilling to discuss my concerns.
He did go on to make three bullet points which make me think he did not read my email.

To say that perhaps the facility at which I worked need to address their training is a bit presumptative. One pilot was not from this field, but one of the many who come down to this facility due to the weather. The second was a 15 year old solo student on her third pull. For those of you familiar with the USAFA accident where the cadet instructor noted she was above the tow plane with a "taught" rope and decided to increase pitch to slow up and allow the tow pilot to get back in position I would ask, "how can we expect a 15 year old student to understand the importance of releasing in such a position if a USAFA student and CFI-G doesn't understand and react properly?

I am well aware of the FAA requirements for PIC. The airplanes I was flying were not unsafe to fly and the Schweizer hook system is approved by the FAA. My concern is one that has been expressed by other pilots and which has directly contributed to the death of more than one tow pilot here and in other countries.

My investigation of the available information continues, it will take some time but I will try to be as thorough as possible.

Walt