Old August 20th 20, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default New Hope for Old L-13s

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 12:38:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Was told by a regulator that there is a repair facility being put in place by Blanik to get the spar AD compliance somewhere in Indiana.

Before anybody gets excited, there's apparently a fairly diverse number of materials that went into building this communist bloc (not that there's anything wrong with commies) trainer and with that a tear down may well reveal an airframe that is kaput.

It still speaks well of Blanik for taking the time and trouble to even do this. I was/am still surprised.

No figures were mentioned I have no idea what the costs will be. Still, go look for 2 place trainers and it's pretty clear that under 100K there's not a whole heck of a lot to choose from.

Last summer, I had the fortune to be invited to fly one of the first reconditioned L13 - in Iceland, of all places! I would have to check my log-book to see when I flew a L13 the last time but it was some time in the 1975 time frame! It was for sure a trip down memory lane for me and the 'Blechnik' performed and handled just the way I remembered - I just seem to remember the cockpit being much roomier back then! ;-)

Uli
'AS'