Old November 7th 05, 01:06 PM
Javier Henderson

Default Bird strike(s)

We've got large flocks of (what appear to be) sea gulls congregating on our
field over the last few weeks. At this time of year we also get flocks of
migratory birds (ducks and geese) stopping over, too. The place looks like
a bird sanctuary.

It probably looks just as inviting to the birds as it does to us! You
know, big open spaces and all...

I've come very close to hitting birds, but (knock on a burnt-orange Cessna
dashboard) thus far have gotten away clean. Last night, while landing in
the last glint of twilight, I saw a very large bird go zinging past me while
on short final. There was nothing I could do but cringe...

Anyone ever hit a bird? Anyone got a good bird avoidance plan they'd care
to share?

Yes, but the federales won't let you mount gatling guns on your
Cherokee. Plus even if they did, you know they neighbors and PETA will
complain.

-jav