Old May 14th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
T.L. Davis

Default prepreg fiberglass question

On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:56:48 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

I've heard of prepregs which have the resin and hardener separated
within the fabric, which can be activated by applying pressure with a
squeegee or similar tool. I searched the internet but I can only find
the standard premixed prepregs which need to be kept in a refrigerator
and cured at elevated temperatures. Anyone know what I am talking
about or where I can buy this thing?

I am basically looking for a way to avoid having to hand make long
lengths of fiberglass tapes for noncritical applications. But it has
to cure fast at room temperature like any standard epoxy so the
premixed ones won't work.

Thanks!

If this stuff doesn't exist, based on the responses, I would suggest
patenting the concept. Imagine a two (or greater) sandwich of S
glass, with encapsuated layers of resin and catalyst. The fabric is
draped over a male plug (permanent or removable). It is then vacuum
bagged. The compressive force of the vaccuum ruptures the
encapsulations and the binary system begins to mix. A vibrating or
centrifugal base could be used to acheive optimal mixing of the
components. What you could wind up with is a near perfect composite
structure,not dependent on squeegee force or perfect application of
squeegee pressure (impossible given time constraints and the stress
from time pressure).

If it does exist, I'd like to know how to obtain it also.

T.L. Davis