Old March 3rd 04, 09:24 PM
Mike Z.

My favorite bench is still 2x4 legs, 2- 2x6 stringers under the top (add a couple cross braces) a top glued up of about 3-4 layers
of particle board to around 2+ inches thick. Then just nail a couple cross pieces in the legs and lay on a shelf.

Build it like a dock. Fast, easy, sturdy as heck and pretty cheap. You can stiffen up the shelf with a 2x4 glued and nailed on each
edge so it won't sag.

Probably can't in your hanger but even easier if you can nail or screw one stringer to the wall.

Mike Z

"Jim Weir" wrote in message ...
I'm about to start building the "furniture" for the hangar. After a lifetime of
building "manly" workbenches out of DF 4x4s milled to take 2x4 crossmembers, and
having the concomitant rot and deterioration of wood, I'm considering making the
framing out of 1¼ PVC Schedule 40 pipe and fittings. The problem is what to use
for the bench tops and shelving underneath.

So far, all my "heavy duty" workbenches have been made out of 3/4" plywood with
a 2" doubler plate along the front and back, and my electronic workbenches have
been either solid core or hollow core doors with an appropriate varnish or Deft
coating on them.

However, since I'm going to a new method of framing, I'd like thoughts on what
you have used as workbench/shelving materials. The benches will be about 2'
wide and 6' long. Yes, I know, solid moulded Teflon would be best, but quick
and cheap is high on the list of attributes I'm looking for.

Thoughts appreciated.

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com