Old April 24th 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Default Going back into flying the glider way

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, Paul Agnew wrote:
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
I have a couple thousand hours flying GA single engine. I have owned two aircraft in the past. (Piper Warrior & Saratoga)
Haven't flown for almost 10-years.
Decided to go back into flying but only gliders.
Will join local club to get my license upgraded to include a glider rating.
Then will be the agonizing over what glider to buy ...
nice problem to have huh?

Welcome to the soaring world! Where will you be flying? When it comes time to start thinking about getting your own ship, you'll find no shortage of opinions here on RAS.

Heads-up on getting the glider add-on to your dormant aircraft rating. As I understand it, you will run into some issues if you don't have a current flight review when you take your flight exam. It's a reverse loophole (adds restrictions, rather than adds relief), if you ask me, and is an unnecessary burden for someone who doesn't want to continue flying powered aircraft.

Perhaps one of our DPEs on RAS has the latest ruling and can clarify what to do. I've read all kinds of workarounds, but don't know the details on which is currently acceptable.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

I am debating about which club to join. There are three clubs within reasonable driving distance (weekend outings)

In my area the choices a

Pensacola:
Coastal Soaring Association
(1) Grob G-102, (1) Grob G-103, (1) Schweizer SGS 2-33

Jacksonville: North Florida Soaring Society
Aircraft: (1) LET L-23 Super Blanik-16.2, (1) Pilatus B-4, (1) Schweizer SGS 1-26, (1) Schweizer SGS 2-33, (1) Towplane Pawnee PA-235

Valdosta, GA: Rose City Soaring Association LLC
(2) Schweizer SGS 2-33A, (1) Schweizer SGS 1-26E, (1) Schleicher ASK-13, (1) Grob G-103 Twin Acro, (1) Schleicher Ka-8