Old June 23rd 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

Default Electriflying

On Jun 22, 1:49*pm, george wrote:

They'd come under the heading of toys.

So do the Kitfox and Talon LSAs that a couple of our students own,
but, my student's trailer-mobile toy airplane is cooler than any
Harley Davidson or muscle car ever made.

And, like I said: Five years ago people ridiculed the very
POSSIBILITY of electric flight, so ridiculing the practicality of it
is water off a duck's back at this point. 'Cause here's the deal:
Lots of people told the Wright Brothers that what they were doing
wasn't possible and in fact the French called them "fliers or liars"
until they went over there and proved it to them.

No crosscountry range,

1 hour at 80 kts is cross country range for a commuter, especially in
regions like Seattle. I commuted 60 miles each way once between a
ten-hour work day, within five miles of airports at both directions.
Recharging batteries and enjoying a summer flight in my 2-seat
commuter, or idling on Interstate 5 all morning and afternoon... hmmm.

a useless rating and a constant changing of battery packs.

And you're not burning $40/hr in fuel, oil and internal-combustion
maintenance. I just flew from St. George UT to Fairbanks in a 172,
and fuel costs at 7.5gph in the Yukon at $8/gallon--$60/hr in fuel and
oil alone--25 hours total time, is as prohibitive to the average
person as charging batteries might be.

You can fly an electric airplane with a private pilot's license. I'm
not sure what "useless rating" means. Is a motorcycle license
"useless"?