Old July 3rd 03, 01:29 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Michael" wrote in message
om...

Of course this assumes that there is plenty of room (10-20 miles)
between cells. If you're going to try to make it through the 2-3 mile
soft spots between cells, you need RADAR.

Oh, boy, now there is a jump... from a VFR pilot to flying embedded
thunderstorms at a 2-3 mile range.

No thank you, in fact not for me either, not even with Strikefinder plus
RDR160 radar plus CBAV aboard... I keep at least a nice 25 miles from all
sferics hits. I still have "only" a piston airplane and the speed/climb
performance just are not there to escape if the door closes behind me.

in an airplane. The problem is that there never was, and probably
never will be, a usable sferics antenna that can be placed INSIDE a
metal cage. That means the antenna that comes with the gizmo would
have to be installed - and I'm betting nobody is going to sign off on

Exactly my point (though stated much better...thank you)... therefore no
portable "gizmo" will match the performance of a used
Stormscope/Strikefinder and in fact no such "gizmo" is likely to even come
close.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com