Old August 12th 15, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

The reason to extend the 2 min below max altitude limit is pretty simple in my view:

- to stop encouraging pilots from descending thru/around the pack (and above average golden thermal) over and over. It's not all straight forward up there. Examples: Pilots pull into what they think is a great climb and then, for a number of potential reasons decide to "reset" and try again. Reasons such as they think they screwed up centering and did not achieve the climb they had hoped or expected, another pack finds a better climb nearby the initial thermal. gliders below are climbing faster or better centered, a key competitor shows up 500 ft. below, a key competitor decides to reset themselves just above you, etc.

With a longer limit, a limit long enough that the gaggle would be lost, this behavior of "resetting" is greatly discouraged. Pilots would also have a greater safety factor (not get so close to max altitude in the high speed circle of death) as the penalty for breaking it is more substantial tactically.

I think it's a good idea. I honestly do. Even 5 min mould be effective.

Now imagine starts had a 10 min limit on the max altitude reset and a 30 minute time limit. Now we are talking!!! ;-)