Old April 15th 04, 03:18 PM
The Enlightenment

(Eric Moore) wrote in message om...
"Ragnar" wrote in message ...
"Eric Moore" wrote in message
om...
Facial-recognition software has been tested on UAV's. See:

http://aviationnow.com/avnow/news/ch...s/bat04134.xml

How useful would this feature be in places like Iraq and Afganistan?

Kinda neat, assuming the bad guys look up at the UAV.

Another good use for software like this would be to program it to spot
objects like RPG-7's, mortars, AK-47's etc.

This diaboloical technololgy is not really aerspace technology: its
been in use with the security industry for at least a decade or two
but clearly this is a refined and specially adapted version of it. In
the security industry, apart from facial recognition, they can detect
if a car has been parked suspiciously long in the wrong spot or note
unusual movement such as running or fighting like motions. A lot of
machine vision algorithms that have been filed for decades becuase
they have been too computationaly intensive for anything but a CRAY
have been dusted of as microprocessors peformance and price has
dropped.

I've always had an interest in synthetic or machine vision: I was
hoping to see it in automation or assisting car driver safety. This
is more like the Arnold Schwarzeneger film Predator.

Personaly I'd like the technology integrated into the nose cone of an
RPG-7 rocket shell so that it can be used to ambush helicopters.
Somebody needs to give the Palestinians some cheap and decent weapons
to fight back as well.