Old July 9th 04, 07:12 AM
Fred the Red Shirt

"George A. Graham" wrote in message ...
On 8 Jul 2004, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

the low price, I don't expect much for something priced competatively
with bicylce wheels and brakes, but I haven;t a clue as to what the
Azusas actually are, other than inexpensive.

You can order a set, then send them back if you don't want them.
Only cost the freight charges.

Those wheels are made for very light airplanes, perhaps ultra-light.

I have in mind using them on a Sky Pup Ultralight, originally
designed to use bicycle wheels w/o brakes. There is no question
that they'd be adequate, what I don't know is if they would be
heavier or harder to install than bicycle disc brakes. After
watching someone struggling to taxi a Sky Pup with neither brakes
nor a stearable tailwheel I concluded that at least one or the
other was a real good idea.

Brakes would probably be no harder to install, would be near the
CG so as tonot affect ballance, and add less parasitic drag compared
to a steerablr tailwheel. A castoring but non-steerable tailwheel
looks to be a non-winner too. Makes the Pup into a nice weather
vane.

I'd kinda like to know SOMETHING about what I'm ordering. The
AS catalog doesn't even say if they are mechanical or hydraulic.
I can call Aircraft Spruce or Azusa and ask, just thought I'd ask
here first for indpendant info.

I'd be ****ed to have to pay even shipping, for an item I returned
because the vendor's description was inadequate.

Thanks, and thanks also to Jason Marshall for the heads up on
Tracy O'Brien brakes.

--

FF