Old September 16th 05, 10:05 AM
Andrew Warbrick

Don't be misleading.

If someone tries to claim a badge using an EW and a
'mouse type GPS' it will be rejected. The IGC approval
of the EW barographs requires the use of a GPS off
an approved list. The approved list GPS's output a
proprietary NMEA sentence for selected map datum which
is recorded by the logger to stop people displacing
turnpoints by changing map datum in flight.

I'm not saying this is the way it should be, there
is an argument for COTS loggers, but this is the way
it is, you can't claim a badge with an EW and just
any old GPS.

At 08:54 16 September 2005, Jancsika wrote:
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:

I have old cameras you can have if you want them and
I have an EW-D
logger you can barrow if you would like to try some
badge flights. All
you need is a Garmin GPS to feed a signal to it.

Or any other cheap mouse type GPS. The final igc
file will be fine
This badge&cheap GPS issue come up year by year.
Few enthusiastic
pilot joined and created COTS proposal to IGC but nothing
has changed so
far

/Janos