Old October 26th 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Some gliders safer than others?

Kinda like the Piper Cub - it's so slow it can just -barely- kill you...

"kirk.stant" wrote in message
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:48:16 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

I only have anecdotes wrt survivability of 2-33 crashes, but your anecdote
seems pretty favorable. I'd be happy to simply break an ankle and hop
away from the front seat of a stalled and crashed glider.

It wasn't a stall spin, it was a full-stalled hard landing (launched into a
dust devil and released early, then full aft stick until impact in the
desert - by a commercial pilot giving a ride, no less. Amazingly poor
airmanship!).

But without data of other similar events in other types of gliders, all our
comments are just opinions. It could be that the 2-33 is the safest method
of transportation known to man, but I "personally" doubt it.

I do find it amusing that one of the first defenses raised whenever the 2-33
is discussed is that "it's the safest glider to crash in!". Wow - that sure
makes me want to jump in one! No thank you - I prefer gliders that let you
avoid a crash - since apparently 2-33s are poor in that respect!

And since the NTSB reports show that you CAN get killed in a 2-33, despite
it's low approach speed, spin resistance, and sturdy structure (?!), maybe
it's fabled crash safety is just an urban myth.

Prove me wrong; I would love to see data to that effect.

Heck, now I'm going to have to fly our club's 2-33 this weekend just for
kicks...you know, living on the edge and all...

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Kirk