Old October 22nd 04, 05:25 AM
Shemp McGurk

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message link.net...
"Shemp McGurk" wrote in message
om...

Does anyone know whether such a list exists for aviation?

Nope. Too many variables. Winds, air temperature, and payload all affect
this pretty significantly, particularly in jets. Not to mention the huge
variety of airframe/engine combos out there.

I'm looking for a list of fuel consumption ratings for:

- private jets

- commercial jets.

...AND, if such a list exists, a per-passenger fuel consumption by
type of aircraft.

I thank you in advance for your answers...

If you don't need a precise number, look at the aircraft's range with
maximum fuel and its fuel capacity. You can get this from the manufacturers'
websites. Jets typically think about fuel consumption in pounds, so keep in
mind there are about 6 pounds of Jet-A to the gallon.

Regarding weight, there are a few numbers you can look at: MGTOW (max gross
takeoff weight), empty weight, and "payload with full fuel." If they don't
list how much fuel it carries for maximum range, look at the weights.
Generally speaking, fuel weight will equal MGTOW minus empty weight minus
full fuel payload.

FYI, I once ballparked a Gulfstream V's fuel consumption as something like 1
gallon per mile, and a 747-400's as 6 gallons per mile.

If there's a specific scenario you're trying to examine (i.e. Learjet versus
Hummer H2) I suggest asking that question specifically. Odds are someone
here will be able to provide far more precise numbers than I could.

Actually, your Gulfstream V comparison with the 747-400 is exactly the
kind of thing I'm looking for: the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a
private jet versus the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a commercial
jet.

And from the example you give above, it's about what I thought it
would be: a 747 with, say, 300 passengers is consuming 6 gallons per
mile and a Gulfstream with, say, 10 passengers is consuming 1 gallon
per mile, the per-passenger miles-per-gallon is WAY higher with the
private jet than with the commercial jet.

Yes?

Also, you might try calling a local jet charter operator. They can surely
give you numbers for the planes they operate.

Best,
-cwk.