Old December 23rd 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default (USA) Soaring airspace files from NFD -- now available

Eric,

A good example of where charts differ from (alternate) reality exists
in the area around the Grand Canyon.

If you look at a chart, it says "The airspace overlying the Grand
Canyon National Park below 18,000 feet MSL is subject to special air
traffic rules." That's *all* it says.

The National Flight Database does *not* have any restrictive or
controlled airspaces above the Big Ditch.

But if you dig deep in the FARs, section 93.305 subpart U describes 4
named areas officially designated as Class E in which you cannot fly
below 14,500 feet MSL.

I've looked at the digital charts for OR/WA and I see the areas you're
referring to. I don't know why the charts don't say "Prohibited", but
they are most definitely that subtype in the NFD.

-ted