Old July 14th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Best winch metrics - what is the best winch operationally?

On Jul 14, 12:51*pm, tommytoyz wrote:
No this thread is what we in the USA need to focus on - how to get
launched as cheaply as possible - as close to $0.00 as possible. Not
the $40-60 launches. That stops me cold from flying so many times,
even when my pockets are brimming with cash. Something seems wrong
about that.

We should establish a base where the winch launching is permanently
available and have the FBOs offer other services there. My argument to
the FBOs has been that they could make as much or more money offering
a winch launch at $10, because there would be many more launches and
more people flying not only because it would be cheaper, but also
because it would be much more fun. Anyone who has winch launched knows
it is much more fun than an areo tow.

Look at the professional operations in Europe, they have large
operations with winches and also offer areo tows, which also keep them
busy because there are always reasons to do an areo tow.
Unfortunately, my discussions on this topic always falls on deaf ears,
so maybe they know something I don't, but I suspect it's a fear of
changing to an new method (for them) and business model.

My opinion is if the commercial operators just refuse, the clubs
should do it themselves, as is mostly done in Europe. For that, a
suitable site is needed, which is the stumbling block as much as the
winch is - if not more so.

In Northern California, one club uses federal land as their site,
managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), to operate from. That
would be the preferred way to go in many ways to site a glider
operation that uses winch launches - not an existing airport as that
will almost always be prohibited by the owners.
Tom

Don at Cross Country Soaring reports getting 2400ft launches at his
operation off the local municipal airport. The synthetic performance
ropes make this possible, even with runway lights. The Soaring
Sooners are based at another small municipal airport and operate a
winch there. Caprock Soaring operates a winch parallel to the main
runway at Littlefield. Finger Lakes Soaring Club winches at Dansville
Municipal Airport. Orange County Soaring Association winches from
Hemet Airport. There are others. It is doable, but the setting is
important also as more space is highly desirable.

There been some movement on mobile winch liability coverage which may
well open up several more venues. A good winch and a two-seater may
see the return of the 'barn stormers';^)

Frank Whiteley