Old January 8th 04, 02:51 PM
El Gran Cantinflas

Stan Gosnell wrote:

"Bob" wrote in
:

Rocky,
I was referring to the person with "full aft cyclic" and still
dragging the pitot tube (on the nose of the aircraft) on the ground.

Lots of collective is the only thing that kept him moving. He was getting
into dynamic rollover, and bottoming the collective might have helped, but
I don't think more collective was going to do anything good here.
Fortunately I wasn't in the cockpit, so I can't say for sure how much he
pulled, or whether more or less would have helped.

Stan & Bob
It makes me think of a time when I had to go up witha pilot in a
Hiller to check my field for positive ID. He was a little guy at 5'6" and
about 140#. We took off, checked the field, no problem. On return,
there was a Bell 47 working ahead of us with his chopper on the
ground, and as we began to approach, it wouldn't slow down. He pulled aft
cyclic to what he thought were the stops and it kept going. I
hollered "can you go around?" and he began doing so to avoid hitting
the 47 at the same time. He pulled pitch and turned with room to spare
and glanced over at me, while I was pushing myself farther back and up
in the seat. The cyclic was jammed back into my crotch
while he was trying to flare it out! We made a good landing the 2nd
time around. Then I told him I was also a race pilot at the
Nationals.At least I had sense enough to keep my feet off the pedals while
I pushed myself back in the seat. We got a chuckle out of that after
the fact. What a wild ride!!

seeya
ref

p.s. This post is just a joke, for those who just think it a great coincidence!