Old June 16th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Using a Telsa or other power train to make the ultimate winch.

On 6/15/2018 2:16 PM, Marton K-Sz wrote:
I would love to see more grass airfields with winch operations being established, it would definitely mean a new chapter in the sport of soaring in the US. No question it would be way more affordable.

....And all that would take is a LOT of money!

Back in the 90s a group secured a lease with the Bureau of Land
Management for a section (1 mile square) of land in Southpark,
Colorado.Â* That's a valley, not a cartoon town.Â* We brought our winch
from the Black Forest Soaring Society to the valley at 10,000' MSL.Â* It
was quite a lot of fun when the wind changed or when I glider landed at
an odd corner of the field.Â* We simply turned the winch to align with
the glider and launched him from there.

--
Dan, 5J