Old June 16th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default THE LONG AWAITED BREAK THROUGH IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY HAS BEEN FOUND

There has not been an nuclear power plant approved for construction since the Three mile island near meltdown in March of 1979. I was a sophomore studying nuclear engineering at Oregon State and that event lead me to change majors to Chem E, in very short order. I wanted a job post college.

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10:57:13 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
Another problem with mass conversion to electric cars: the public believes the electricity comes out of trees or something. In fact in most of the US, fossil fuels (coal or diesel) are used to generate the power. Many of these plants are turbines, and are not as thermally efficient as a modern car engine. Hydro power is pretty much fully developed (as much as the public will stand anyway) and there hasn't been a nuclear plant built in decades. Solar may be an answer, but it requires energy storage systems that are not currently in place. Fusion IS the answer, but someone has yet to crack that nut.