Old March 24th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default One man rigging

On Mar 23, 4:44*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Mar 23, 3:39 pm, Tom Nau wrote:

I am considering purchasing a one-man rigging system. *Is there
consensus on the best system? *Which one do you like? *Thanks, Tom

There are several good systems out there. *I used to have one of
Udo's, which worked quite well for me. *I now have the locally-made
(Arizona) WIngRigger, which is somewhat similar to the Udo design, but
with a couple of extra features. * *It has three big wheels - very
useful if you're not rigging on a smooth surface - and it doesn't fall
over like the Udo if you don't get the legs out (we've all done
that!). *The WingRigger feature I find most useful is a gas-assist
lift mechanism rather than a mechanical or electric screwdrive that
some others have. *This is simple and holds most of the weight of the
wing while you can make fine adjustments.

Whatever system you favor, I'd recommend getting your hands on one and
seeing it in action.

Mike

And, the latest edition has more great features. 1) it breaks down
into far smaller (and easier to store in your glider trailer)
pieces... sort of an upside down T with short bars and removable axles
that fit into each side, both of which can be adjusted to a narrow
width or wide stance, and 2) it is powder coated and has a clear coat
powder coat on top of that... classy looking and very weather
resistant. It comes with your choice of two different shape wing
holders (for fat wings like LS-3 or Pik or thin wings like ASW-27,
etc).

Bob T.
19