Old March 27th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default One man rigging

On Mar 23, 3:39*pm, Tom Nau wrote:
I am considering purchasing a one-man rigging system. *Is there
consensus on the best system? *Which one do you like? *Thanks, Tom

I use the WingRigger. I was an early customer so I didn't get the
later mods. I'm not concerned about that since it works very well. I
rig my 28 solo with it and several times have been able to get both
wings on without any readjustment of the wing position. It takes me
probably less than 3-5 minutes longer to rig with the WIngRigger than
with an experienced helper. Add a couple of minutes for getting it
out of the trailer. That's much better than waiting half an hour for
the next pilot to arrive at the field. It's so easy to use that I
often rig solo even when help is available.

I find removal of the wings a little more awkward than assembly and
usually get help if someone is nearby. On the other hand I have
removed the wings solo with winds gusting over 15kts and been just as
comfortable as if I had used a live helper.

The WingRigger avoids any heavy root lifting and there is less risk of
the spar damaging the fuselage than if an inexperienced helper is
used.

I have not used Udo's rig so can't compare the two.

Andy