Old November 8th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry

Default Plexiglas cement??

On Nov 5, 1:26?pm, flybynightkarmarepair wrote:
On Nov 4, 9:09 pm, Larry wrote:

I am planning a "touchy" repair job to my canopy. I've done some test
sheet acrylic bondings with acrylic IPS Weld-On (#16). I don't like
the ugly bubbles and noticed some fine plexiglas stress cracking on
one test piece. Is there another sort of cement (eg. Weld-On #40)
which would make for a better looking bond between 2 sheets of .080 in
plexiglas? Thanks.

Larry

#16 is just the water thin #3 with acrylic dust pre-dissolved in it to
make it thick, it's still the same action, I.E. softening the existing
acrylic, then evaporating away.

If you have gaps in particular, #40 is the shizz you want. It
actually is syntesizing new, full strength acrylic, and not just
softening up your substrate. Years ago, I built a planing boat towing
tank model out of acrylic sheet, and #40 worked far better than the
Methyl Chloride solvent cements, gaps and all. Once cured, it works
just like the base material, and polishes up nice. It can be a little
different tint, it's not quite as gin-clear.

Hello Above: Was talking with Ridout plastic techs yesterday. They
warned me about possible stress fracture when cementing plexiglas that
is not "cast cured". In other words plexiglas that is "extruded" has
stress in it and many solvents will cause hair line stress fractures
when applied. This makes me nervous about bonding a 7 inch plexiglass
ring to my canopy. .083 in thickness. Any ideas about cast vs.
extruded and potential problems?

Thanks

Larry