Old May 7th 05, 03:45 AM
G. Sylvester

I had the same experience a few years ago when I went for an IPC. At that
point I had about 1000 hours with about 100 approaches in actual. First he
refused to fly in my plane, which is a hell of a lot better maintained and a
much better IFR platform than the FBO planes. Then he added that he was
uncomfortable flying in actual since he didn't know me. Needless to say I
found another CFII.

jeez, I had my IFR checkride scheduled for may 7th. I have about 11 out
of 50 hours in actual with about 25 of that at night which is a good
substitute for actual when under the hood. I told my instructor that
I wanted to fly in the worst crap out there so I'm comfortable when the
**** hits the fan. I had a few flights that were very bumpy and weird
ATC routings. I'm glad I did it as I wouldn't say I'm
comfortable in hard IMC but in smooth IMC I think I'd do quite well.
I do think I'm more comfortable than most instructors as most
instructors I think have mostly private students and don't stay IFR
current and IFR proficient themselves.

So my FBO is ****ing me off because what they consider IFR capable
is not so in my book. I don't trust anyone who says a plane with
an AI that takes "10 or 15 minutes" to erect is IFR capable even in
severe clear.

well I'll get my shot in a couple of weeks in a well maintained airplane.

Gerald