Old January 9th 04, 01:04 PM
Dave S

Ok... all you closet aeronautical engineers... I'm asking for someone to
help do my work for me.. with regards to Va..

I have an Excel Spreadsheet application that does W&B and plots it on a
graph... The form also lists certain speeds that are "static": Vx/Vy,
Vne, etc.. I would like to modify this form to list Va dependent on
the given calculated gross weight, and perhaps even doctor it up to do
density altitude computations..

If anyone HAS or KNOWS (or has the formulas)how to do this in Excel,
please feel free to pass it on.. I'm sure I will figure out or find what
I need sooner or later, but I'm not wanting to reinvent the wheel if I
dont have to.. this is for myself and some flying club members (and for
anyone else who happens to see it on here).. not a school project or
work assignment of any kind.

Dave PP-ASEL

Doug wrote:

Kershner's "The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual" has the following
definition for Va.

Va - The maneuvering speed. This is the maxiumu speed at a particular
weight at which the controls may be fully deflected without
overstressing the airplane.

Now, Va is commonly taught as turbulent air penetration speed. But
nowhere in the definition does it say that Va will protect the
airframe from damage due to turbulence.

Does slowing down even slower than Va protect the airframe from even
more severe turbulence? Or is Va the best speed for turbulence
penetration? Or is Va just used as a turbulence air penetration speed
becauase of tradition or some other non-technically correct reason.