Old June 28th 05, 06:14 PM
John G. Harte

Default Winch Hardware - To swivel or not swivel

Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the cg
hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches; however,
after several more, we encountered even more twisting and kinking, but,
alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of the cable that
was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh