Old April 10th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Oral exam place and questions

Luke Skywalker writes:

In your hypothetical if I gave you a question like the one you possed
and you gave me the "ball park" answer my next question "might" be,
"if you wanted a more precise one how would you figure it out?" and
then that would go to the "computing" device...I would probably feel
it necessary (grin) to show you how to use an E6B if all you have is
an electronic one (kind of a whiz bang thing)...

I don't think that would be a problem. The ASA E6-B I bought is inexpensively
made, though, and it's really hard to turn the wheels; it would be a pain to
actually have to fumble with it in a cockpit.

A nice Pickett steel or bamboo circular slide rule would be ideal--one of the
rare situations in which a slide rule is probably superior to a calculator (no
electricity, extremely fast and easy to use, more than accurate enough for its
purpose, good at simplifying specific problems). Alas! Nobody seems to make
slide rules any more. I saw a few other circular slide rules at the pilot
store, but they all looked like the same thing in different materials,
although I didn't look that closely.

I"ve done "part" of the oral in and around an airplane before...but I
dont like to. The environment is not controlled etc... It usually
doesnt do what I am trying to do and that is put the applicant at
"ease"...

The only time I'm at ease during an exam is if I don't care if I pass.