Old April 10th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Default Oral exam place and questions

Mxsmanic wrote:
Where does this exam take place?

My exam took place in the flight school building, in one of the
ready-room alcoves. We also took a brief walk outside, and spent some
time with the aircraft before preflight.

When you are asked math-type questions, are you expected to answer with just a
ballpark figure or an exact answer? In the latter case, can you use a
calculator, or pencil and paper, or must you do it in your head?

Precise. And yes, calculators are allowed, but you must demonstrate your
ability using any method. Generally, though, math questions aren't
asked; it's a lot more theory, rules, specifications, that sort of
thing. The "math" portions are taken care of in the flight plan you're
asked to develop.

If I'm asked how long it will take to go 84 nm at 120 kts, I know that it's
about 40 minutes, but if an exact answer is required I don't see how I could
practically provide that without a calculator.

I could be quite cruel here, seeing as you're just a name on the screen.
However, I will be benevolent.

Long division is your answer. Alternately, it pays to invest in a book
on pilot math.

120 kts is 2 nm/min (120/60), so the precise answer is 42 minutes
(84/2). Decimal minutes are also acceptable in remainders (assuming you
can deal with converting them back to HMS format, to read on clocks).

TheSmokingGnu

Edit: crossposted, corrected.