Old June 13th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearNav too big?

On 13 Jun, 03:09, Marc Ramsey wrote:
Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes I thought the r.a.s. thing would get a rise.

Current generation of e-ink and similar displays really are too slow
for moving maps. Yes future devices are another story. As for images
things just translating slightly. That does not help the fundamental
refresh problem. It would reduce apparent smearing in some cases but
you may also get Kindle like display flashes on each refresh, ouch.
Believe me you don't want to be trying to run SeeYou on a Kindle. When
SeeYou is not just sitting there doing it's thing the UI needs to be
pretty snappy. Popping up and scrolling down waypoint lists, select
tasks, changing settings, etc. All well outside current e-ink
displays, and I don't think you can fundamentally develop a new UI to
exploit these displays that has a lot less UI interaction. Of course
in future this technology could be great. I like color but being able
to see the display at all in bright light (the umm small problem with
current PDAs) would indeed be nice.

One wouldn't want to run SeeYou, but I've seen perfectly usable chart
plot style moving maps on e-ink displays. *Many moons ago I used to
build UIs for ancient technology display technologies (Tektronix storage
tubes, early plasma displays) the had the same issue of allowing one to
set individual pixels, but having to erase all at once. *These included,
among other things, real-time tactical information displays that were
every bit as interactive as SeeYou. *It just took a different UI mindset....

Marc

Have we given up waiting on OLED display PDA's - and what about
Unipixel TMOS displays??