Old February 20th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Default Warning to users of Zaon PCAS MRX

On Feb 20, 3:21*pm, Westbender wrote:
On Feb 20, 11:43*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Feb 20, 9:10*am, kd6veb wrote:

Hi Gang
* This thread prompted me to think as to how the MXR unit ignores my
transponder in my glider which is being pinged regularly where I fly?
Explanation anyone or a pointer to where I could find an answer to my
question? Thanks.
Dave

Dave RTFM! This is described in the manual. The MRX uses its internal
altimeter to compare to the Mode C altitude tramitted by an
transponder. If the values are close it assumes it is your transponder
it is seeing and supresses the alert. *The exact logic/tollerances it
uses however is not described.

Darryl

I don't own one of these yet, but I just have to ask this question.

Are you saying if a target is at the same altitude as you, it will be
suppressed? That is a scary thought! I would think the horizontal
proximity would also be part of the suppression criteria.

I don't want to speak for them but the answer is no! I have had
plenty of alerts when the target is at the same altitude as myself
when the unit is working. This includes my towplane and other
aircraft in the same gaggle (circling with the air force gliders at a
contest near radar). In normal operation you never pick up yourself
if you have a transponder.

Bruno - B4