Old August 27th 03, 05:04 PM
Corrie

"...could not be used for personal use of any sort..."

What a crock! Sure glad I don't live in CA. Jim Klein for Guv! Y'all
need a FLYER in Sacramento.

"Stu" wrote in message ...
I discussed the exemptions to the personal property tax with the Kern co.
Calif Assessor. His reading said that I could apply for an exemption based
on the unique (less than 5 built) nature of the ship. However, it had to be
displayed for the public 12 times a year and could not be used for personal
use of any sort. Joy riding, taking the wife for a ride for breakfast. I
asked if I could take my wife, who was recording readings necessary for the
review of maintenance actions to an airport where we could discuss (over
breakfast) the maintenance issues with a knowledgeable person. There seems
to be some openings in the exemption laws. I've asked for an exemption
request form and I'm going to review it more closely.

Stu Fields
wrote in message ...
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:56:32 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

:In article ,
:
(Corrie) wrote:
:
: Orval Fairbairn wrote in message
:

.
: ..
: In article ,
: "Stu Fields" wrote:
:
: Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from
: personal
: property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a
: specific
: model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code

where
: that
: is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)
:
: Stu Fields

:
:
:
: It DOES apply in California. Get the information on "historic

aircraft"
: from your tax collector. You pay a one-time fee of $35 (per county
: based) and have to agree to display it to the public at least 12 days
: per year.
:
: Is "display to the public" defined in the law?
:
:Nope. A number of organizations (Frazier Lake Airpark, for one) schedule
:at least one day per month for aircraft public display. Attending
:fly-ins and airshows counts as "public display," and, AFAIK, does not
:have to be in state.

can it apply to airplanes that are recent (not historic) but are
unique?