Old January 27th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Hard Deck

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 8:28:39 AM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I figured they knew something I didn't so,
either we get through or 3 broken ASW-20's in one spot.

Absolutely incredibly stupid.

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 12:42:33 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
It is interesting that you thought you might die, but followed them anyway .

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 12:48:16 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
Following great pilots just a little bit lower, when you don't know their
plan, and when those pilots clear obstacles by a wingspan or less, is also
an iffy tactic.

If you are not absolutely clear how people get killed blindly following
other pilots, you may want to read:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Nadler_...g_May_1987.pdf

PS: One of the experts mentioned above was the pilot that made a wee mistake
about which ridge was which in the above-linked article...