Old May 10th 05, 08:48 PM
OtisWinslow

I think you have to take the approach to learn from crashes. I imagine
it can be quite upsetting to go through one. As a student pilot you lack
the experience to understand a lot of things about the crash. The thing to
remember is
for the majority there's not any one thing that caused it. It's a chain
of events. If you can recognize and break that chain your chances of
being involved in one will be greatly reduced. When things aren't going
as they should on a flight, don't just push on. Land and sort it out.
Regroup.

You didn't say what kind of crash it was or what you think caused it, but
I think you can maximize your margin for safety several ways:

1. Make sure the plane and you are well prepared for the flight. Don't fly
when you don't feel totally up to snuff and make sure to do a very good
preflight.
2. Establish and maintain personal minimums that are conservative
for your experience level.
3. Operate the plane within it's limitations.
4. Work through in your mind ahead of time all sorts of scenarios and what
you would do in each. Write them down. Think out ahead of time what
the best course of action would be and write it down. For everything
that
reasonably happen up there you should have thought it through and made
a plan. A lot of these emergency procedures will be covered in your
training.

In 30 yrs of flying I've been lucky enough to not have been involved in
any crashes or broken any airplanes. I've had some situations I've
had to deal with.

Good luck with your flying. Enjoy.

"bekah" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was in an airplane crash in February.
Not piloting.
I am a student pilot and I'm trying to get over what happened.
Anything from people who have been in my situation is greatly needed.
I need to know if what i'm going through right now is normal, need some
one to talk to who understands.