Old February 14th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike125

Default Soaring Safety

Very good post and links. I consider myself a novice ridge flyer and,
despite having done a fair amount of reading on the subject, have
never seen this phenomenon addressed. Being low on ridge experience, I
tend to give the mountain a pretty wide berth but, as my confidence
level goes up and I start flying closer, the chances of encountering
this will increase. It has happened to me only a couple times at
altitude (once while still on tow) and, initially, scared me pretty
good each time. Being at what seems to be a 90 degree bank with full
opposite control inputs is a little disconcerting. A few seconds of
"What the*#!%?" followed by "Wow! Let me get back to that thermal!"
Great food for thought as the ridge season in the northeast
approaches.

Mike