Old June 3rd 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Altimeter Setting

On May 31, 8:22*pm, PK wrote:
There is absolutly no rationale for setting the altimeter to AGL.The
only excuse I am willing to accept, and it is a rather poor one, if he
or she would NEVER EVER be willing to be out of glide to their home
field. And how many glider pilots were NEVER EVER in that position? 6PK

Not even that!

What if the pilot hears a radio call such as "Airport XYZ traffic,
Cessna 1234, 2 miles south crossing midfield at 2500"?

Where will he be looking? Up? Down?

When I flew at CCSC 18 or so years ago, I would set the club ship's
altimeter to the CORRECT setting, and let the next pilot deal with it.

-Tom