Old March 24th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Borgelt Dynamis variometer

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 7:15:55 AM UTC+1, 2G wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 12:42:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 7:01:23 PM UTC, wrote:
As Mike mentioned, horizontal gusts are usually most disturbing while cruising at higher speeds and entering thermals. The AirGlide S and the ClearNav-Vario are both using ADC derived data to calculate vertical air mass movement. From my experience, it takes some time to find the right setup for these filters. But once that is done, they do a good job in removing horizontal gusts. But they are only working in cruise mode. Perhaps Dynamis uses them in climb mode as well - although the problem of horizontal gusts is most relevant while cruising at high speeds, i.e. in cruise mode.

Mike has every reason to be proud of his new product and it certainly was a great effort to get there. But it is not the first and only vario on the market using such filters.

Cheers
Christoph

The only thing I am aware of that MB has said about how the Dynamis works is that it is not by means of filters, specifically, from his Dynamis article:

"It is not a filtering problem as the vertical and horizontal motion occurs on the same time scales and has similar magnitude, making filters useless."

Don't expect Mike to give you any REAL clues on how his systems works; after all, it is his trade secret. In fact, he may give you false clues to throw you off! One thing I would like to know, however, is the price of the system (that shouldn't be a trade secret).

Tom

Why not explain how and why it works?
This makes me a bit sceptical. Is there a patent application pending?
Looking at the videos, I can't see any difference that can't be explained by a longer integration time.