Old August 15th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Flying with Parachutes

I have been in a few violent automotive accidents, airbag never deployed, but belt worked as they should.
Ifmairbags were so great, name a SINGLE automotive racing,application where they are mandated!
A single one.

Drawing a blank? There is a reason.
Rollcage, great belts, likely even HANS device makes a difference.

Am I against a chute?
Nope.
Have I thought I needed one?
Nope.
Would I love a chute when needed?
Absolutely!

I have had close calls in a gaggle and "may need a chute", but was wearing one, never had to use one.

I have done "at least hundreds" of rides and 8 years of instruction. Situational awareness helps, then again, there is the, "oh poop" situation, a chute may have been nice.

If someone wants a chute, I will NOT harass, but I weigh risk/benefit.

A 2-33, sucks for the ride, totally sucks for the rated pilot.