Old August 15th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Flying with Parachutes

At 17:54 15 August 2018, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
I have been in a few violent automotive accidents, airbag never

deployed,
but belt worked as they should.
Ifmairbags were so great, name a SINGLE automotive

racing,application where
they are mandated!
A single one.

Drawing a blank? There is a reason.
Rollcage, great belts, likely even HANS device makes a difference.

Am I against a chute?
Nope.
Have I thought I needed one?
Nope.
Would I love a chute when needed?
Absolutely!

I have had close calls in a gaggle and "may need a chute", but

was wearing
one, never had to use one.

I have done "at least hundreds" of rides and 8 years of instruction.
Situational awareness helps, then again, there is the, "oh poop"

situation,
a chute may have been nice.

If someone wants a chute, I will NOT harass, but I weigh

risk/benefit.

A 2-33, sucks for the ride, totally sucks for the rated pilot.

Strange to say this from this side of the pond but:-

If you have an incident and some lawyer can say "why didn't they
have parachutes",you might as well sell up right away and cut your
losses.Even if the 'chute would have made no difference, they will
still want a telephone number size payout.
We make our trial flights watch a 15mins safety video and wear a
parachute ,and brief them on how to use it.
No accidents on my watch is the rule,
over weight no
rain in sight no
guest has had a drink no
cloud base less than 2000ft agl no

wind over 20mph no
and there will be more, which is why we are taking bookings for
weekend trial lesson for 2019,because we are fully booked,not that
we fly that many, we keep canceling and re-booking .
Rant over, you shouldn't need to buy a 'chute till you buy your
glider.
Jon