Old July 10th 03, 07:14 AM
Michelle P

Frode,

We get about two a month at work. It can be anything from minor
composite work to major airframe and engine work/replacement.

Typically you get and entry and exit point. if that is through the
engine or prop you replace both.

In the last month we have had one strike on a J-41 turboprop and one one
a CRJ. Every time this happens we have to go through a full systems
inspcetion/ check.

The J-41 required a engine, prop and flap replacement and the CRJ
required some rivet replacement just behind the passenger door and a
elevator fairing.

Expensive and time consuming.

I have come close to having a Cherokee I was flying struck. I got out in
time to avoid it.

Michelle

Frode Berg wrote:

Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?
Can it be dangerous?
What happens? Loud bang?

I was flying VFR to and from the west coast here in Norway the other day,
and on the way back, I passed through some showers. I was within VFR limits
all the way, and suddenly I say a few lightning flasshes nearby, and got a
bit concerned.
I know it's not supposed to be dangerous, but it would be nice to hear what
happens if it does happen.

Thanks,

Frode

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, AirLifeLine

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity