Old June 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What is Purpose of Sports Class Nationals?

In article ,
"Wayne Paul" wrote:

The U.S. has opened this range to include all sailplanes. This tends to
cause contest organizers to declare tasks which are beyond the capabilities
of older gliders.

Haven't seen that problem here in the southeastern U.S. Current world
team member David Stevenson has campaigned his Ka-6 very successfully,
Obviously, he finishes most tasks in good time. Clearly, the
handicapping system has some flaws (what doesn't?) with some gliders
having relatively better handicaps, but that can change.

The winning gliders flown in the club class in Europe are often so
highly tuned or modified that they rival the cost of a much newer ship.

I relish the chance to fly with better pilots in better equipment.
Sometimes I even beat one or two of them. Limiting the U.S. Sports Class
to older ships would just diminish participation.

Oh, one other thing - Frank, tell me again what the heck winglets are
supposed to do for an LS-4 (besides look cool?)