Old January 23rd 05, 04:21 PM
Elmshoot

I am looking for information and pictures about USN A-7 Corsairs
stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan back in the mid 1980's.

I'm pretty sure they were on Det from the ship. As a westpac deployment evolves
upon arrival in the Cubi area a Corrosion control Det is established in Cubi
Pt. Each squadron will off load a few planes that are run through CC while this
gives the ship of more room in the hangar bay and flight deck. Some are flown
while on the beach but for the most part they don't do much flying when the
planes are in CC.

On some ships they would unload one of the two A-7 squadrons. And they would
do unit level training as well as run exercises agains the battle group, not a
good deal for the guys chasing traps but still a pretty good deal. Then the
Sluff squadrons would swap out and the other would be on the shore. Most likely
that is were you saw A-7 at Iwakuni from. Pechs is right again.
This was before the "6 month deployment" when most ran about 8 months and when
you left you really didn't have an end date. My first one was almost 11 months.
1 April- to late Feb.
Sparky