Old July 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Robert Moore

(Corky Scott) wrote
Knowledge is knowledge. If it stays in you, what
does it matter how quickly you are taught it?

But it doesn't stay Corky. Some more of that stuff
that every kindergarden teacher is required to study
in college that the average flight instructor has no
clue about. Long term and short term memory and the
methods and conditions required for transferring
learning from one to the other.

The FAA "Fundamentals of Instruction", universally
condemmed by flight instructors, contains very good
information about the teaching-learning process but in
such condensed form that in "rote" learning it just to
pass the test, flight instructors retain nothing from it.

The 10-day quicky course relies almost solely on rote
learning and I quote from the FOI, "Avoid rote learning,
for it does not foster transfer".

When I first joined PanAm way back in 1967, the Initial
Qualification program for the B-707 was six months long.
The Electrical System covered almost a complete week by
itself. At the end, I personally felt well qualified.
At the end in 1991, that same Initial Qualification course
required only two months. Same basic information taught,
just not enough time to learn and retain it. Electrical
in the morning followed by hydraulics and flight controls
that same afternoon. It wasn't very effective training.

Bob Moore
Teaching since 1962