Old April 27th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
WingFlaps

Default Feds Want to Equipe Gliders With Transponders and Radios

On Apr 28, 6:55*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

1) Provides a framework of preplanned manuvers for aircraft to use to avoid
each other (but only if they both see each other, know the regulations, and
are
inclined to follow them).

Actually, that is true if only one pilot makes visual contact too.

* *Not so.

* *If the other plane does not see you, it can't be expected/trusted to behave
according to the ROW regulations, so you can't know what it is going to do..
There is usually little that you can do to get the other pilot's attention (you
have no horn in an aircraft). *So it is up to the pilot that DOES see the other
to do whatever it takes to avoid a collision...regulations be dammed.

In that situation, I usually manuver in such a way that I never lose sight of
the other aircraft. *If I happen to be driving a glider, my manuvering options
are limited to left, right, and down. *I probably can't climb, and I certainly
can't outrun an oncoming airplane.

To give way you must turn to the right. You can certainly dive fast
and turn as well if you really wan't to generate a big separation. But
remember he won't see you as easily if you go below him.. Radio calls?

Cheers