Old May 6th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Fatal crash Arizona

While in no way do I wish to speculate on the cause of this accident or
indeed suggest that my comments in any way address the cause of this
accident.
I feel that comment is needed on some of the things said here. We have a
rule here in the UK, launch failure on aerotow below 300ft a landing should
be made ahead, or slightly to one side. No attempt should be made to turn
back below this height.
The reason is simple, a controlled crash into difficult terrain is likely
to result in a better outcome than an uncontrolled arrival on the airfield.
The important bit to keep intact is the bit you are sitting in, the rest of
the glider does not really matter too much. The best chance of achieving
that is flying to the ground with the wings level. It has only happened to
me once, there was a field ahead but it was full of the Tiger Moth tug that
had landed in the middle. I discovered that there was just enough space for
a Skylark 2 as well. I have no doubt that a turn back would have resulted
in an accident. I was at 250ft agl max.
If there really is nowhere to land ahead you should really ask the
question, "should I be taking a launch".
Frankly I would be horrified to be required to conduct a turn back at
200ft, I would suggest that this is one of those occasions where the danger
of practice is to great to justify.