Old May 16th 04, 03:17 AM
sameolesid

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...

I am not crazy about the idea of having a portion of the tanker force
unavailable for use in the T/O (and no, this is not the same as my below
posit regarding using the 767's for these roles--those 767's could just as
well extend to the T/O where they provide full capacity tanking to USAF
assets, even with their (initially) marginal USN tanking support
capability).

This is presupposing the 767s will not be made prematurely obsolete by
the emerging long range AAM and SAM threats. A Feb AvWeek article
reported USAF interest in stealthy tanker designs...even equipped with
stealthy booms.
Sounds like somebody in the AF is as crazy as me...
(Feb23 AvWeek)
"Moreover, U.S. Air Force representatives have indicated interest in a
stealthy tanker to support their stealthy attack platforms, the
F/A-22, F-35 and B-2, to make them less susceptible to attack while
they refuel. To adequately satisfy that demand, Lockheed Martin has
devised a stealth shrouding for the refueling "boom."

The 767 is a poor investment for the future, and a 7E7 variant or the
Airbus offerings would merely be more expensive poor investments.