Old December 27th 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

I prefer the bottom location unless you have a diversity transponder
which can use both.Â* Having the antenna on the bottom gives better view
to ground stations and ATC will inform airliners of your location should
you be of concern.Â* Practically speaking, however, since gliders spend
so much time in banked turns, some of them steep banks, it's entirely
possible that either antenna location would work.Â* But I still vote
"bottom".

On 12/27/2019 12:34 PM, wrote:
Hi all,
Planning to install a Transponder Antenna on my Ventus CM.
Schempp Hirth indicates the possibilty of installing on top of the fuselage , behind the engine compartment doors.
Regarding being seen by ATC and Airlines, would that location perform better/worse/same as the standard location on side of fuselage - above gear doors ?
Dan

--
Dan, 5J