Old December 19th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Gordon[_1_]

Default USS Midway Museum

wrote:
DDAY wrote:
I visited the USS Midway museum a few days ago in San Diego, thanks to the
discussion here.

That is a beautifully preserved ship. The volunteers have done a great job
with her. I asked a docent about a few off-limits areas. He said that the
Admiral's quarters should be open to the public in about a year, and they're
hoping to get CIC open as well, but have to deal with PCB issues.

I spent about 3.5 hours walking around and I imagine that when the other
areas are open, it could take a lot longer to see everything.

The planes are beautifully restored. Only downside is that they're a little
light on older aircraft. No Spad, for instance, and they could use some
other Korea era aircraft as well. Also, a Seahawk would be a nice addition.

Seahawk or 'Skyhawk'..A-4...F-4s, I hope and A-7s...

They have a humpback Scooter on the hangar deck. He's right, they
don't have a Crash Hawk, at least not yet. They do have a Corsair II,
a pair of F-4s, and are steadily increasing the size of their "air
wing". I think its great! You can stand on the bow and feel the old
familiar steady wind pushing back against you - it almost feels like
the old girl is straining to pull away from the dock to turn into the
wind for launch, one last time.

v/r Gordon
20+ landings on USS Midway (granted not many, but I still have a
connection to her)